Feature Interview, Star Of The Month

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chelsie From RagPrincessSews

Posted by The Craft Gossiper at 4:17 AM
Words From Chelsie
Hi, I'm Chelsie! I usually go by UnluckyPrincess or RagPrincessSews online. I'm 24 years old and live in the great Northwest of the United States. I grew up with crafty aunts (Dad's side) and a very crafty mother, so it has forever been in my blood. Art class usually was my favorite subject; and throughout school I was always known as the creative one. In my late teens I really struggled on what I wanted to do with my life, but my passion has always been with the creativity that crafting has to offer. After graduating high school, I ended up going straight into a local community college and got my Associates in Technical Arts for Integrated Multi-Media, majoring in film making. My dream job is to be a writer, director, and producer of major motion pictures, just like my primary inspiration Tim Burton. But after college I had a really hard time finding work. I got interviewed at a movie theater and Michaels craft store, but never got the call back. I ended up just filling all my time with crafting. I got into polymer clay for the first time, then back into plush making, and then eventually amigurumi. But about two years ago my grandma went through a lot of struggles with her health. So last year I ended up leaving my parents place to move in and take care of her. It's been very stressful but I use my love of crafting as medicine to get me through the hard times.

Chelsie who makes videos as RagPrincessSews on YouTube is a talented, well rounded craft artist. She does all sorts of crafts and has a creative channel to prove it. To date, Chelsie has over 600 subscribers on YouTube and has garnered over 30 000 views. She channels her energy into teaching people of all ages and is definitely worth a watch. Her high quality tutorials and easy step by step guide makes it easy for amateurs to follow and takes the time to answer questions which are posted on her videos.

SNAPS WITH CHELSIE
An Artist at hear, Chelsie



Girl behind the videos

Yummy Rose Apple Pie
Watch it HERE

Nyan Nyan Nyako Tart Plush Tutorial
Watch it HERE

INTERVIEW WITH CHELSIE

1. At what age did you start crafting?
Chelsie :  I started very young 'cause my mom was a crafter. So I started doing paper chains and things like that when I was 5 or 6, but started sewing and doing larger projects when I was about 8.

2. Tell us how you decided to make videos for YouTube.
Chelsie : This is a bit of a long story but I actually first started on my chelsiemalfoy account in 2006 when I was in high school just to watch music videos, anime and things like that. The first video I ever made on there was me singing along to a band I liked. Then I started making anime music videos when I got really into film making. When I was in college I started filming my own music videos to songs I liked. It wasn't until I really got into the website DeviantArt that I started getting into sharing my crafts over youtube. When I learned about copy right policies for using anime songs in the background of my videos is when I decided to make a brand new channel, clean and fresh, meant just for crafts: RagPrincessSews.

3. What is your main goal on YouTube as a crafting guru?
Chelsie : To educate and spread the love of crafting all over the world.

4. What kind of videos do you make on YouTube?
Chelsie :  I make Upcycling and DIY projects, craft updates, craft tutorials, sewing (plushie) tutorials, nail tutorials, hauls, monthly favorites and tag videos, japanese candy reviews, food tutorials, and anything along those lines.

5. Do you sell your creations?
~Yes I do. When I first started I tried to sell everything I made on my etsy but not not much sold, so now I mostly sell the most popular things, like my kawaii character hats. I do plan on adding more later, when I find the time.

6. What are other hobbies you have besides your forte?
Chelsie : I do so many crafts it's hard to keep up. Scrapbooking is one of the major things that I do that I don't really share on YouTube. I also play video games and read a lot. (I mostly craft though LOL)

7. How long do you see yourself on YouTube?
Chelsie : Forever! I'm gonna be making craft updates when I'm a tiny little 90 year old in a nursing home.

8. What are your thoughts on the crafting community on YouTube?
Chelsie : The community on YT is the main reason why I still upload. If it wasn't for all the wonderful people on there I wouldn't be doing as much as I do today. They have really taught me a lot. And not just about crafting, but on how do deal with hateful people that usually find their way to the most popular craftubers. 

9. User savvy tips for future craftubers?
Chelsie : Consistency: Viewers like knowing you'll be there every day or every week or every month for them. So make sure you upload regularly.
Quality: You don't have to have a thousand dollar camera to make a quality video, but it is nice to see the details of your work (so no webcam videos please). And lighting also plays an important part of that equation. 
Always keep your chin up! If someone leaves a rude comment don't let it bother you and don't dignify them with a response, just delete it and move on.
And lastly, viewers LOVE tutorials. So the more the merrier!

10. Inspiring message for us and your viewers?
Chelsie : Practice Practice Practice. Anything and Everything improves with practice. 

LINKS TO CHELSIE
Chelsie blogs at An Attempt At Fashion
Subscribe to her YouTube Channel
Visit her online shop

6 comments:

Unknown said...

CHELSIEEEEEEE!! You are such an inspiration gurl! Stay true to yourself always and keep inspiring all of us to keep crafting!
Aiko

Unknown said...

Hey Chelsie! I had fin reading your interview :) I plan to stay on YT till I'm an old lady too lol! I have never tried DeviantArt.. I will check it out :)

~ Shivani

Bubs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Chelsie! Your story was very inspirational. I too started video editing with anime music videos lol! It would be awesome to see some if you still have any. Keep up the awesome work. You're bound to be a super star! ;)

CarmenPay_Craft said...

Yay Chelsie is in the house hehehhe :P Keep making more videos coz u rock gal

anna lynn said...

CHELSIE ^_____^

Post a Comment

 

The Craft Gossiper Copyright © 2013